Michael John Long, PhD Cand
Osgoode Hall Law School
MJL has earned an Honours BA in Philosophy and Law & Society, and as an undergraduate student was awarded the Certificate in Practical Ethics, for his focus in moral philosophy. He has since completed a Masters in Environmental Studies (MES) from York University, and a Master of Laws (LLM) from Osgoode Hall Law School. In 2010, he was advanced to the Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) program at Osgoode Hall, where he continues to amalgamate his passions for ethics, law, and the environment.
Michael currently conducts research as a Junior Fellow at the Institute for Research and Innovation in Sustainability (IRIS), while also serving on the centre’s Executive Steering Committee. He also works as a Teaching Assistant with the Faculty of Environmental Studies (FES) at York University. Michael has previously held positions as a Course Director in FES, a Co-Chair of the Environmental Law Society at Osgoode Hall, a Fellow of Jack and Mae Nathanson Centre on Transnational Human Rights, a Graduate Member of IP Osgoode and Editor of the centres blog, and a Graduate Associate of the York Centre for Practical Ethics.
Areas of interest: Environmental Studies/Environmental Law, and Theoretical/Practical Ethics.
Supervisors: Stepan Wood (Osgoode), Dayna Scott (Osgoode), and Michael Giudice (York)
- Junior Fellow and Executive Steering Committee Member, Institute for Research and Innovation in Sustainability (IRIS), York University
- Teaching Assistant, Faculty of Environmental Studies, York University
- Graduate Member, Institute for Feminist Legal Studies (IFLS), Osgoode Hall Law School
- Graduate Member, IP Osgoode, Osgoode Hall Law School
- Jack and Mae Nathanson Centre Graduate Fellowship, Osgoode Hall Law School, 2010-2011
- Hon. Willard Z Estey Graduate Fellowship, Osgoode Hall Law School, 2010-2011
- Harry W Arthurs Fellowship, Osgoode Hall Law School, 2010-2011
- Mark Nawrot Memorial Award, Faculty of Environmental Studies, York University, 2007-2008
- Samuel J Zacks Award, Stong College, York University, 2001-2002
- Fellow, Jack and Mae Nathanson Centre on Transnational Human Rights, Osgoode Hall Law School
- Co-Chair, Environmental Law Society, Osgoode Hall Law School
- Editor, IP Osgoode’s Online Blog, IPilogue, Osgoode Hall Law School
- Graduate Associate, York Centre for Practical Ethics, York University
- Advisee and Volunteer, Canadian Institute for Environmental Law and Policy, Toronto